Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Celebrating Chelsey

Our family has been overwhelmed and humbled by so many of your kind words and thoughts...that is what is giving us strength and hope as we, with heavy hearts, are attempting to move forward. Words will never adequately express how gratefully blessed we are for the outpouring of so many loving friends and family. Thank you. We have something else that we would like to share with you all.....

It is the eulogy that Chelsey's brother-in-law (my husband) gave following the funeral mass. It, too, captures in words the amazing person Chelsey was. We hope in sharing this with others, Chelsey's spirit will continue to live on in each of our lives. She was truly a gift......

It follows here, as spoken by her brother-in-law,
"Jesus said “I have come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly.” Chelsey had just that, an abundant and joyous life. She shared that joy with others, touching their lives and hearts in ways most of us may never know. Today, that is exemplified by the multitudes of you here representing so many different facets of her life. So, I stand before you, humbled by her spirit and most gracious to be called her brother in law. Though I, too, am shockingly saddened by her tragic death which we all come to mourn and grieve, I am really here today to celebrate her life and pay tribute to her everlasting spirit.

Chelsey’s short life and my too short time of being her earthly brother have carved in my heart a lasting impression about unconditional love. Only such love can be taught by a mother, and that is what Cathy did… teach unconditional love and importance of family to her girls. And, although, initially Chelsey made me “earn” my way into their (Chelsey, Molly, and Cathy’s) tight “trifecta of girls,” I am now so blessed to be a part of this family. This unconditional love, that she so humbly possessed, flowed freely from her kind heart. I heard one of Chelsey’s friends say just last night that when anyone was sad they came to Chelsey… “she took care of everyone and made everything better.” Regardless of circumstances, her love always overlooked evil and dishonesty (even in times when she felt pain and was incredibly hurt). No matter what, compassion poured out from her kind, loving heart making her, in my mind, one of the most honest and forgiving people I will ever have the privilege to know.

Chelsey never met a stranger. She listened intently to you making you feel like the most important person in the room, and that you were to her. Her vibrant spirit, radiant smile, and even that intoxicating loud laugh filled any room with warmth and light.

Our life here on earth is full of quitting and leaving, moving and putting away, letting go and saying good byes. So many people go through life fearful of taking these chances of quitting, leaving, moving, letting go, but Chelsey didn’t. She faced those challenges, moving away from the security and comfort of a familiar place, and beginning a career and life in a place where she knew no one. I want her to know how proud I am of her for taking those chances and facing those challenges.

Humbly putting others before herself, Chelsey is the definition of a true friend. Therefore, that makes me doubly blessed to have Chelsey not only as my sister-in-law, but also my true friend. She became a “confidant,” and we often affectionately referred to each other as “partners in crime.” In some way, she was each of yours “true friend” and now, also your forever friend.

But, in my opinion, the most humble and desirable quality she possessed, and the one we should all long for was her unrelenting faith and relationship with God. This steadfast faith is a testimony to me and should be to all of you. With that, I am so honored and privileged that God would share with me (and all of you too) such a mighty and large gift. That is exactly what she was….a gift.

Although I feel sad for my children one day who will never know her as an aunt, and the man that will never have her as a wife, and the children that will never know her as a mother to teach them unconditional love, I will continue to celebrate even the gift of 24 short years of her life. So, remember, that God gives us many gifts, and I believe that sometimes these gifts are placing people in our lives that we are to emulate. Therefore, my prayer for each of you is that, in some way, you go forth from here, seeking to emulate what Chelsey and her humble spirit has taught you."

2 comments:

Reform Transform said...

Thank you, Ken, for such a beautiful tribute to Chelsea. Your reminder of God's many blessings in our lives, in the midst of your deep personal loss, was such an encouragement and inspiration.
---Sarah Brown

Unknown said...

Dear Family,
Thank you for posting Ken's beautiful words. As I sat and listened to Ken read this, I couldn't help but be so thankful that he honored Chelsey in such an amazing way, but he also honored Chelsey and Molly's Mom, who truly deserves to be lifted up. Cathy raised two beautiful daughters who has given back to all of us, that wonderful spirit of love. Chelsey was and in such a wonderful person who will live forever in our hearts and through her wonderful Family!